"Sometimes I wonder about my life. I lead a small life - well, valuable, but small - and sometimes I wonder, do I do it because I like it, or because I haven't been brave?" - Kathleen Kelly (You've Got Mail)

Saturday, September 18, 2010

Zucchini Quinoa Lasagna

Ingredients:
4-5 medium zucchini, sliced into strips lengthwise
1 tbsp. olive oil 
1 small onion, diced
3 medium garlic cloves, minced
1 c. uncooked quinoa
2 c. vegetable broth or stock
1/2 c. tomato sauce
1 c. packed fresh spinach leaves, chopped
8-10 fresh basil leaves, chopped
1/2 c. cottage cheese (or ricotta, silken tofu or cream cheese)
2 c. marinara sauce
1/2 c. shredded mozzarella or parmesan cheese


Directions:
Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Sprinkle the zucchini slices with a little salt and layer them between paper towels to remove some of the moisture. Let them sit during the remaining steps.
In a large skillet over medium, heat the olive oil and add the onion. Saute until tender and then add the garlic, saute another couple minutes. To the skillet add the the quinoa, vegetable broth, tomato sauce, spinach and basil. Bring to a boil and then reduce to a simmer. Cover and simmer for 20 minutes or until all the liquid is absorbed and the quinoa is fully cooked. Remove from heat and add cottage cheese.
Coat the bottom of a 13x9 baking dish with 1 cup of the marinara. Place  a layer of zucchini over the marinara, followed by half the quinoa mixture. Repeat this layer one more time and top with zucchini and remaining cup of marinara.
Top with cheese and bake in the preheated oven for 25 minutes or until zucchini is tender. Allow the lasagna to rest for 5-10 minutes before serving.



Notes: Sorry for the nasty-looking picture...I promise this stuff was amazing! I can't remember where I found the recipe...I ended up making quite a few changes anyway. I will definitely make it again! I think I may just chop the zucchini up next time, stir it in with quinoa and bake it like a casserole to save on time.

No comments:

Post a Comment