"Sometimes I wonder about my life. I lead a small life - well, valuable, but small - and sometimes I wonder, do I do it because I like it, or because I haven't been brave?" - Kathleen Kelly (You've Got Mail)

Thursday, May 13, 2010

Poppy Seed Bread with Orange Glaze

Ingredients:
3 c. flour (I used half all purpose and half whole wheat)
1 1/2 tsp. salt
1 1/2 tsp. baking powder
3 eggs
1 1/2 c. milk
1 c. applesauce
1/4 c. vegetable oil
2 c. white sugar
2 tbsp. poppy seeds
1 1/2 tsp. almond extract
1 1/2 tsp. butter extract

Directions:
Preheat oven to 350 and grease 2 loaf pans and set aside. In a large bowl combine all of the above ingredients just until moistened. Pour into the prepared loaf pans and bake for 1 hour in the preheated oven.

Glaze Ingredients:
1/4 c. orange juice
1/2 c. white sugar
1/2 t. almond extract
1/2 t. butter extract


Glaze Directions:
Combine all the above ingredients in a small bowl. Using a fork, poke holes in the top of the loaves and spoon over the tops once they are finished baking and are still hot.



Notes: This is a recipe that my mom used to make when I was a little girl and I'd go nuts over it! My sister brought it up this week and I was so excited to make it myself! I made a few changes (less sugar, half whole wheat flour, almond extract instead of vanilla extract and applesauce in place of most of the oil) and I was really happy with it! Such good memories!

No comments:

Post a Comment