"Sometimes I wonder about my life. I lead a small life - well, valuable, but small - and sometimes I wonder, do I do it because I like it, or because I haven't been brave?" - Kathleen Kelly (You've Got Mail)

Sunday, May 9, 2010

Flourless Chocolate Cake

Ingredients:
1/2 c. water
1/4 tsp. salt
3/4 c. white sugar
18 oz. semi sweet chocolate
1 c. unsalted butter
6 eggs, room temp.

Directions:
Preheat oven to 350. Grease a 9-10 inch round cake pan and set aside. In a small saucepan over medium heat combine the water, salt and sugar. Stir until completely dissolved then turn off heat.

In a double boiler or the microwave melt the chocolate and pour into a mixing bowl. Cut the butter into tablespoon sized pieces and mix with an electric mixer into the melted chocolate one piece at a time. Mix until butter is melted and chocolate is smooth. Next, beat in the hot sugar water then slowly add eggs, one at a time. Meanwhile bring a small pot of water to boil. 

Pour the batter into the prepared cake pan. Place the cake pan inside of a larger pan and fill the large pan half way up with boiling water. Bake the cake in the water bath in the preheated oven for exactly 45 minutes. The center will still look wet. Chill the cake in the refrigerator for at least 10 hours (or over night).

To unmold, set the bottom of the cake pan in hot water for about a minute, loosen sides with a butter knife and turn upside down onto a serving plate. Garish with cocoa powder or powdered sugar. Top with sliced almonds if desired. Serve in very small slivers as this cake is very rich. Makes 16-20 servings.




Notes: This is one of the most "gourmet" type of desserts I've ever made and I was pretty intimidated by it at first but it turned out wonderfully! I made this for my mom for Mothers Day and I'll definitely make it again. And I'm not kidding when I say it's RICH! You can get away with serving very small pieces. This would be really yummy with some homemade whipped cream on top.

Recipe adapted from here

No comments:

Post a Comment