"Sometimes I wonder about my life. I lead a small life - well, valuable, but small - and sometimes I wonder, do I do it because I like it, or because I haven't been brave?" - Kathleen Kelly (You've Got Mail)

Friday, March 4, 2011

Mediterranean Penne Pasta Toss

Ingredients:
10 oz. whole wheat penne pasta
2 boneless skinless chicken breasts
Salt and pepper to taste
4 tbsp. olive oil, divided
2 medium tomatoes, chopped
4 garlic cloves, minced and divided
1/4 c. balsamic vinegar
1 tsp. dried basil
1 zucchini, diced
1 orange or yellow bell pepper, diced
15 oz. can white beans, drained and rinsed
3/4 c. crumbled feta cheese

Directions:
Bring a large pot of water to boil and cook penne according to the package directions. Drain, and set aside.

Heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil in a large skillet, season chicken breasts with salt and pepper and cook in the skillet for 6-8 minutes on each side or until completely cooked through.Chop into bite sized pieces.

In a bowl, combine the tomatoes, 2 of the minced garlic cloves, balsamic vinegar, 2 tablespoons olive oil, basil and salt and pepper to taste. Stir well and set aside to marinate.

Heat the last tablespoon of oil in another large skillet and saute the zucchini, bell pepper and 2 remaining minced garlic cloves for about 5 minutes, or until tender. Add the beans and cook just until heated through.

In a large bowl, combine the cooked penne, chicken, tomato mixture, sauteed vegetable mixture and 1/2 cup of feta. Stir well and then top with remaining feta cheese. Serve hot or refrigerate and serve cold! Makes 6 servings.



Notes: I came across this recipe in another food blog and put it on my menu a couple weeks ago...I finally got around to making it this week and I'm SO glad I did! I made a few changes and it turned out delicious. It's yummy both hot and cold and can work as a main dish or a side. It dirtied up quite a few dishes but it was worth it :)

No comments:

Post a Comment