"Sometimes I wonder about my life. I lead a small life - well, valuable, but small - and sometimes I wonder, do I do it because I like it, or because I haven't been brave?" - Kathleen Kelly (You've Got Mail)

Monday, March 21, 2011

Brunch Stuffed Peppers

Ingredients:
4 yellow or orange bell peppers
1 c. frozen hash browns, thawed
8 slices bacon, cooked and crumbled
3 eggs
1 c. shredded cheddar cheese
3/4 c. milk
1/2 c. biscuit mix (I used Bisquick)
1/4 c. sour cream
2 tbsp. chopped green onion
Salt and peper to taste

Directions:Preheat oven to 350. Pour 1/2 cup of hot water into an 8x8 baking dish. Cut the tops off the bell peppers and remove seeds. Place the peppers cut side down in the baking dish with water. Place in the oven to steam for 10-15 minutes.
Meanwhile, whisk together the eggs, cheese, milk, biscuit mix, sour cream, onions, salt and pepper and set aside. Remove peppers from the oven and discard the water. Fill the bottom of each pepper evenly with the hash browns followed  by the bacon. Pour the egg mixture into each pepper, filling to the top.
Bake in the same 8x8 dish for 45 minutes. Remove and allow to cool for 5 minutes before eating. Makes 4 servings.



Notes: I saw this recipe on Paula Deans show and it looked too good not to try! The only change I really made was steaming the peppers beforehand (the reviews said they came out a little crunchy) and I'm glad I did! They came out perfect that way. I also recommend letting them sit few a few minutes before eating them or else the filling isn't quite set. Randy and I both loved these. We ate them for dinner with a fresh fruit salad...yum! You could omit the bacon and make this a great vegetarian dish, too!

No comments:

Post a Comment