"Sometimes I wonder about my life. I lead a small life - well, valuable, but small - and sometimes I wonder, do I do it because I like it, or because I haven't been brave?" - Kathleen Kelly (You've Got Mail)

Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Espresso Chip Meringues

Ingredients:
3 egg white at room temperature
Pinch of salt
3/4 c. white sugar
1/8 tsp. cream of tartar
1/4 tsp. vanilla extract
2 tsp. instant espresso powder
2/3 c. semisweet chocolate chips

Directions:
Preheat the oven to 300 degrees Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside. In a stand mixer fitted with the whisk attachment, beat the egg whites and salt until frothy, about 1 minute. With the machine on medium-high speed, gradually add the sugar, about 1 tablespoon at a time until sugar is dissolved. Add the cream of tartar, vanilla extract and espresso powder. Increase the speed to high and beat until the mixture is thick and holds stiff peaks, about 3 minutes. Using a spatula, fold in the chocolate chips. Drop by 1/4 cupfuls onto the prepared baking sheet about 2 inches apart. Bake exactly 1 hour. Turn off the oven and allow the meringues to cool completely while still in the oven, about 2 hours. Makes about 1 dozen cookies.



Notes: I am a HUGE meringue fan and I watched Giada make these on one of her shows and they looked amazing so I bookmarked the recipe. I had some egg whites leftover today from making ice cream (only used the yolks for that) so I decided to try these out. They are by far the BEST meringues I have ever had! I love the espresso/chocolate combo....YUM! Next time I will probably make them about half the size, just so I have more than 12 to eat :)

No comments:

Post a Comment