"Sometimes I wonder about my life. I lead a small life - well, valuable, but small - and sometimes I wonder, do I do it because I like it, or because I haven't been brave?" - Kathleen Kelly (You've Got Mail)

Monday, November 8, 2010

Pasta e Fagioli

Ingredients: 
2 tbsp. olive oil
1 small or medium onion, diced
3-4 carrots, diced
4-5 celery stalks, diced
4 garlic cloves, minced
28 oz. can diced tomatoes
15 oz. can red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
15 oz. can white cannelini beans, drained and rinsed
64 oz. vegetable broth
28 oz. can tomato sauce
2 tsp. dried parsley
1 tsp. dried basil
Salt and pepper to taste
6 oz. small dried pasta (I used Campanelle)

Directions:
In a large saucepan over medium, heat the olive oil and add the onion, carrots, celery and garlic. Saute for 10-15 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add the can of diced tomatoes (undrained) and stir. Turn the heat to medium/high and simmer for 10 minutes.
Next, add the beans, vegetable broth, tomato sauce, parsley, basil, salt and pepper and stir well to combine. Turn the heat all the way up and bring to a boil. Once boiling hard, reduce to a simmer and cover. Simmer with the lid on for 35-40 minutes or until vegetables are soft. Remove the lid, return to a boil and add pasta. Boil for 10-15 minutes, until pasta is done to your liking. Serves 8.




Notes: Pasta e fagioli means "pasta and beans" in Italian and it's a delicious vegetarian soup! I love fall and winter because I get to make soup once or twice a week and I will definitely make this one again! The beans add some extra protein, which I love :)

No comments:

Post a Comment