"Sometimes I wonder about my life. I lead a small life - well, valuable, but small - and sometimes I wonder, do I do it because I like it, or because I haven't been brave?" - Kathleen Kelly (You've Got Mail)

Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Caramel Macchiato Thumbprints - take 2

Ingredients:
4 tsp. instant coffee granules
1 tbsp. hot water
1 pouch (1 lb. 1.5 oz.) Betty Crocker sugar cookie mix
1/4 c. white flour
1/2 c. butter or margarine, melted
2 tsp. vanilla
1 egg
28 soft caramels, unwrapped
1 tbsp. milk
1/2 c. white chocolate chips
1 tsp. shortening

Directions:
Heat oven to 375 and grease 2 cookie sheets. Dissolve coffee granules in the hot water and pour into a large mixing bowl. Stir in cookie mix, flour, butter, vanilla and egg until soft dough forms, about 2 minutes. Shape dough into balls and place 2 inches apart on the cookie sheets. Using your thumb, make an indentation in the center of each dough ball. Bake 8-10 minutes in preheated oven. Transfer to cooling racks.

In a small bowl, microwave the caramels and milk for 1 minute, stir and heat 30-45 more seconds or until melted and smooth. Spoon the caramel into the center of each cookie. In another small bowl, microwave the white chocolate chips and shortening 30 seconds at a time, stirring in between, until melted and smooth. Pipe the chocolate over each cookie. Allow chocolate to harden and store cookies unstacked (to prevent caramel sticking) in an airtight container.

Recipe adapted from here




Notes: I made these cookies before and they were really good but I wanted to try them again and make a few changes. I didn't think the cookies should have dark chocolate on them since caramel macchiatos are caramel and vanilla. So I used white chocolate this time and they were MUCH better. I piped it on instead of drizzling which was easier and less messy. I also added a teaspoon extra of coffee granules for a stronger coffee flavor. One more thing I did was make them about 1/2 the size I did the first time. They turned out amazing and I will make them again and again! I even had some for breakfast this morning ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment