"Sometimes I wonder about my life. I lead a small life - well, valuable, but small - and sometimes I wonder, do I do it because I like it, or because I haven't been brave?" - Kathleen Kelly (You've Got Mail)

Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Blueberry Crumb Bars

Ingredients:
3 c. all purpose flour (I used half whole wheat)
1 1/2 c. white sugar, divided
1 tsp. baking powder
1 c. chilled butter (I used half Smart Balance)
4 c. fresh blueberries
3 tsp. corn starch

Directions:
Preheat oven to 375 and grease a 13x9 pan and set aside. In a medium bowl, stir together flour, 1 cup sugar and baking powder. Using a pastry blender, cut in the butter and egg until crumbly. Pieces should be no larger than a pea.
In a separate bowl, stir together the blueberries, remaining 1/2 cup sugar and cornstarch. Pour half the crumble mixture into the prepared pan. Pour blueberry mixture evenly over the top. Sprinkle the remaining crumble mixture over the blueberries. Bake in the preheated oven for 45 minutes. Allow to cool completely before cutting and serving.

recipe adapted from here 



Notes: Blueberries were on sale this week at the grocery store so I picked up an 18 oz. carton (which turned out to be exactly 4 cups...perfect!) and made these bars with them. I'm not a huge blueberry fan, but these were so good! I found the recipe on allrecipes.com and made a few of my own little changes....super easy to make, I threw them together in a couple minutes! They are a great for dessert or to munch on with your morning coffee :)

No comments:

Post a Comment