"Sometimes I wonder about my life. I lead a small life - well, valuable, but small - and sometimes I wonder, do I do it because I like it, or because I haven't been brave?" - Kathleen Kelly (You've Got Mail)

Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Turkey Taco Lettuce Wraps with Tomato-Avocado Salsa


I've said it before and I'll say it again...I love love love Kayln's Kitchen! It's such a great blog for low-carb recipes. I starred this one when I saw it the other day and I'm glad I did! It was so yummy and light and the avocado salsa on top made it even better. It called for lots of cilantro which I left out. We loved this dish! The only bummer thing is the salsa will go bad if you don't eat it all right away. So if you're making it for just a couple people, I'd make half the salsa then and the other half when you eat the leftovers.


Turkey Taco Lettuce Wraps with Tomato-Avocado Salsa

Ingredients:
1 tsp. olive oil
2-3 garlic cloves, minced
4 oz. can green chilis
1.5 lbs ground turkey
1 tsp. chili powder
1/2 tsp. cumin
Salt and pepper to taste
1/2 c. sliced green onions
Romaine or iceberg lettuce leaves (about 6-8)

Salsa:
2 ripe avocados, diced
1 c. cherry tomatoes, halved
1 tbsp. fresh lime juice
1/1 tbsp. olive oil
Salt and pepper to taste


Directions:
Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium. Add the garlic and green chilies and saute for 2-3 minutes. Next, add the turkey, chili powder, cumin, salt and pepper and cook until brown, stirring as you go to break up the meat. Stir in the green onions and saute for 1 minute longer.
In a medium bowl, toss the diced avocado with the lime juice and olive oil. Carefully stir in the tomatoes, salt and pepper. To assemble, place the taco meat down the middle of a lettuce leaf and top with the salsa. Makes 6-8 tacos.

No comments:

Post a Comment