"Sometimes I wonder about my life. I lead a small life - well, valuable, but small - and sometimes I wonder, do I do it because I like it, or because I haven't been brave?" - Kathleen Kelly (You've Got Mail)

Monday, February 24, 2014

Calabacitas

Ever get tired of having beans and rice with your Mexican food? I sure do! This is a fresh, easy and healthy alternative side dish to go with any Mexican meal. 




Calabacitas

Ingredients
Drizzle of olive oil 
1 small yellow onion, diced 
3 small/medium zucchini
3 small/medium summer squash 
3/4 c. corn kernels (fresh, frozen or canned)
4 oz. can diced green chilies 
1 c. shredded sharp cheddar cheese 
Salt and pepper to taste 

Directions
Drizzle some olive oil in a large skillet and heat over medium. Add the diced onion and sauté until tender-crisp, about 5 minutes. 
While onion is sautéing, wash and cut all your squash. Cut each in half lengthwise and then slice into half moon shapes, about 1/4 inch thick. Add to the skillet and sauté another 3-4 minutes. Be careful not to over cook or else the squash will become mushy. 
Add the corn kernels and green chili and cook just until heated though. Lastly, season with salt and pepper to your liking and stir in the shredded cheeee until melted. Makes 8-10 side servings. 

No comments:

Post a Comment